Office of the Clerk

The City Clerk is a statutory officer of the Corporation and is assigned various duties by a number of Provincial statutes such as the Municipal Act, the Planning Act, the Municipal Elections Act, the Ontario Heritage Act and the Vital Statistics Act.

The City Clerk is a statutory position prescribed by Section 228(1) of the Municipal Act whose duty is:

  • To record, without note or comment, all resolutions, decisions and other proceedings of the council;
  • If required by any member present at a vote, to record the name and vote of every member voting on any matter or question;
  • To keep the originals or copies of all by-laws and of all minutes of the proceedings of the council;
  • To perform the other duties required under the Municipal Act or under any other Act; and
  • To perform such other duties as are assigned by the municipality.

The Office of the City Clerk at the City of Thorold consists of the City Clerk, Deputy City Clerk, Legislative Assistant, Licensing Clerk, and Customer Service Representative (2).  The City Clerk is responsible for Legislative and Council Services, Licensing, Vital Statistics, Grant Writing, Records Management, Access to Information and Freedom of Information Requests.

The primary roles and responsibilities of this department include, but are not limited to:

  • Preparation of Council and Committee agenda packages and supporting documents.
  • Attendance at meetings of Council and Committees requiring the taking of minutes and giving of advice on procedural matters.
  • Communication of Council decisions and directives.
  • Ensuring compliance with Legislation as it relates to Council and Committee processes and access to municipal records (MFIPPA).
  • The implementation and administration of the Open Government Program. 
  • Administration of Marriage and Lottery Licensing for the City.
  • Conduct and administer the Municipal and School Board Elections.
  • Providing an effective records management system for the Corporation.
  • Maintaining Vital Statistics Registration for the City.

The City Clerk provides legislative and procedural support services to the Municipal Council and other municipal departments and is responsible for preparing Council agendas, minutes, by-laws, resolutions, etc.

 Commissioner of Oaths

The City Clerk can sign documents that need the signature of a Commissioner of Oaths or Commissioner for Taking Affidavits. You will need to bring photo identification, and the document must be signed in the presence of the Commissioner.  We encourage you to call City Hall to ensure someone is available to sign your documents before coming in.

The Commissioner of Oaths can sign documents including, but not limited to:

  • Consent to travel with children (travel letters)
  • Proof of residency
  • Vehicle transfer of ownership
  • Pension plans
  • Certify documents as “true copies” (Please call for Clerk availability)
  • Certification of an identifiable individual's signature
  • Government-related forms

The Commissioner of Oaths will NOT sign documents related to:

  • Wills
  • Living wills
  • Codicils of wills
  • Powers of attorney
  • Divorce, separation or custody
  • Theft
  • Real Estate
  • Court documents or documents related to court proceedings
  • Documents that require the signature of a Notary Public

Commissioner of Oaths are NOT Notary Publics. You will have to contact a professional lawyer, notary public entitled to practice law in Ontario, or a justice of the peace to sign those documents.

In the event you do not have photo identification, the Office of the City Clerk will not commission the document.

Please contact the Office of the Clerk to book an appointment for document commissioning.

Please call 905-227-6613 or email for an appointment.

The City cannot notarize documents. A list of Notary Publics and Lawyers who notarize documents can be found in a telephone directory or online.


 Commissioning Fees
Commissioning Fees for Thorold Resident(s)
$20.00 for the document
$5.00 for each additional document
$20.00 for preparation of the document
No fee for pension form
* All fees are subject to H.S.T.
Commissioning Fees for Non-Resident(s)
$30.00 for the document
$5.00 for each additional document
$20.00 for preparation of the document
No fee for pension form
* All fees are subject to H.S.T.
 Closed Meeting Information

Top 10 Tips for Municipal Officials

1. Know and follow the Municipal Act, 2001 and your procedure by-law’s open meeting requirements.


2. Make sure you have a procedure by-law that complies with the Municipal Act – every municipality and local board is required to have one.


3. Give adequate advance public notice of all meetings, including the time and location of all meetings.


4. Keep meetings open to the public unless closure is specifically authorized under the Municipal Act and there is a real need to exclude the public.


5. Pick the right s. 239 exception before closing a meeting.


6. Pass a resolution in public that includes meaningful information about the issue to be considered (not just the exception) – before closing the doors.


7. Record the meeting, including all decisions, by taking minutes, and preferably also by recording audio or video.


8. Stay on topic – don’t stray from the subject stated in the resolution.


9. Do not hold a vote in closed session unless it is for a procedural matter or to give directions to staff or officials.


10. To the extent possible, report back publicly in open session about what occurred in closed session. Accessible PDF of the Ombudsman's Open Meetings - Guide for Municipalities.  

 Delegation Requests

You must submit your request to appear before Council by the completing the Delegation Request Form before 4:30 p.m. on the Monday immediately preceding the scheduled Council meeting. 

The request is to be directed to the City Clerk at City Hall and may be delivered in person or emailed. If you are placed on the agenda, you will be provided with a time to appear. If your request is received after the deadline or if there are already two deputations scheduled, your request will be placed on the next regular Council agenda.

Council meets generally every third Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. If you are interested in appearing at a Council meeting to present information or an opinion on a matter, you will need to fill out the Delegation Request Form and submit that form back to the Office of the Clerk before 4:30 p.m. on the Monday immediately preceding the scheduled Council meeting. You will need to ensure that your delegation does not exceed 10 (ten) minutes.

Freedom of Information 

About Privacy Legislation

In the municipal sector, the Municipal Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) is the access to information and privacy legislation. MFIPPA states that an individual has a right to access information kept by a municipality, and that a municipality must protect personal information in its custody.

All information collected by the City of Thorold is done in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

The principal purpose(s) for which the personal information is intended to be used is for the distribution of information as subscribed to on this page using the contact information you have provided.

For any questions or concerns regarding the collection of your personal information, please contact the City Clerk.

Please go to Information and Privacy Commissioner (IPC) website for more information about privacy laws in Ontario.

Everyone has the right to access a record in the custody and control of the City of Thorold, unless it falls within one of the exemptions as described in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).

The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) provides an individual with the right to access records of information, including their own personal information, under the custody and control of a local government institution (municipality, county, region) with certain limitations in order to protect personal and sensitive information.

You will need to complete the Freedom of Information Request Form and pay the $5 filing fee (per request). Additional fees may apply if a lot of research and photocopying is required. The City Clerk has 30 days to respond to Freedom of Information Requests unless an extension is required, in which case notification is provided to the applicant in writing outlining the reasons.


Privacy Complaints

The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Personal Health Information Protection Act outline privacy standards for the collection, use, disclosure, retention and destruction of personal information held by government institutions.

The City of Thorold is committed to ensuring the security of personal information in its possession.

Individuals who believe the City has breached their privacy are encouraged to contact:

City Clerk, City of Thorold
3540 Schmon Parkway
P.O. Box 1044 Thorold, ON L2V 4A7



Complaints are investigated on a confidential basis.

Individuals also have the right to make a formal complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario regarding a privacy breach ( When a complaint has been received, the Commissioner will assign a compliance investigator to review the facts of the complaint and determine if the City has complied with the privacy provisions of the Act.

Closed Meeting Investigation Request

According to Section 239 of the Municipal Act, 2001, as amended, any person may request an investigation to determine if a municipality or local board has met the requirements outlined in the Municipal Act or its Procedure By-law regarding a meeting that was closed to the public, in part or in whole.

If you feel that any board, committee, or Council of the City of Thorold has failed to meet its closed meeting requirements, then you may submit a request for investigation. 

 Lottery Licensing

The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) regulates Charitable Lottery Licensing for the province. The Order in Council provides municipalities with licensing authority for:

  • bingo events, with prize boards of up to $5,500;
  • media bingo events with prizes up to $5,500;
  • break open tickets for local organizations;
  • raffle lotteries for total prizes of $50,000 and under; and
  • bazaar lotteries which include: wheels of fortune with a maximum bet of $2.00, raffles not exceeding $500, and bingo events up to $500.

The municipality may attach terms and conditions to a license, in addition to those established by the province, provided that they do not conflict with provincial Terms and Conditions or policies.


Eligibility Requirements 

To be eligible to apply for a charitable lottery license with the City of Thorold your organization must be located within Thorold and have been in existence for at least one year and be for charitable purposes. The courts have determined that the word 'charitable' refers to organizations which provide programs for:

 • the relief of poverty

• the advancement of education

• the advancement of religion

• other charitable purposes beneficial to the community

The Eligibility Requirements should be read in conjunction with the appropriate Terms and Conditions for the Lottery event you intend to apply for. For further details, regarding eligibility please visit the AGCO website

Applications & Forms 

To obtain the correct application for your intended lottery, please visit the AGCO website to download the appropriate forms or obtain copies from City Hall.


Reporting Requirements 

Any organization that obtains a lottery license through the City of Thorold must submit a completed Lottery Report within 30 days of the expiry of the license. To obtain the correct forms for reporting, please visit the AGCO website to download the appropriate forms or obtain copies from City Hall.

 Municipal and School Board Elections
Municipal Elections in Ontario are held every four years. Details regarding eligibility of electors and candidates and general election information is available from the City Clerk's Office. Results from previous municipal elections are also retained in the City Clerk's Office.
Civil Ceremonies/Officiant Services  

The City of Thorold offers Civil Marriage Ceremonies performed by the City Clerk or Designate. For more information see the Marriage Licenses and Ceremonies page available here: Marriage Licences Ceremonies - City of Thorold


Contact Us

© 2018 The Corporation of the City of Thorold, 3540 Schmon Parkway, PO Box 1044, Thorold ON, L2V 4A7

Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday

Back to top