Building Permits

stack of papers and pens on a table

Building permits allow the municipality to protect the interests of both individuals and the community as a whole. By reviewing and approving building permit applications before any work is done, the municipality can ensure that buildings comply with:

  • the Ontario Building Code, which sets standards for the design and construction of buildings to meet objectives such as health, safety, fire protection, accessibility and resource conservation
  • the local zoning bylaw and other planning controls on buildings
  • other applicable legislation, including conservation authority approvals and certain requirements under the Environmental Protection Act.

When Do I Need a Building Permit?

You must obtain a building permit before you:

  • construct any new building over ten square meters in area or place another structure, such as a mobile home, on your property
  • make renovations or repairs to a building
  • construct an addition onto a building
  • change the use of a building
  • excavate or construct a foundation
  • construct a seasonal building
  • undertake work regarding the installation, alteration, extension or repair of an on-site sewage system
  • undertake work regarding the installation, alteration, extension or repair of any plumbing
  • construct a retaining wall exceeding 1000mm in exposed height
  • construct a sign
  • install a solar collector with a face area equal to or greater than 5 m2 onto a building
  • construct a deck that has a height which exceeds 600mm above finished ground level adjacent to the deck, a building area that exceeds 10m2 or is attached to a building
  • install a wood burning appliance

When a building permit is required, the permit must be issued and in the possession of the Property Owner prior to the start of any construction activity

  • A permit application is available from the Building Division office at Thorold City Hall or here.  Second part required is the Application for a Permit Supplemental Building Data Request Form.
  • Demolition Permit application form.  Second part required is the Application for a Permit Supplemental Demolition Data Request Form.
  • Application for a Permit for Partial Occupancy, Transfer of Permit or Change of Use form
  • General Reviews by Architect and Engineers form
  • Authorized Agent Authorization form
  • Acknowledgement by Applicant of Incomplete Permit Application form
  • Applicable Law Checklist form

Information Packages

This section is currently being updated, therefore some Information Packages are not yet available.

Accessory Buildings Information Package

Deck Information Package

Fence Information Package, click here

Pool Information Package, click here

Building Permit Fee Schedule, click here

Thorold Municipal Development Charges, click here

Contact Us


Contact Us

© 2018 The Corporation of the City of Thorold, 3540 Schmon Parkway, PO Box 1044, Thorold ON, L2V 4A7

Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday

Back to top